Who does not have wood or furniture at home or in the office?
This integral component of our home and workplace is always noticeable in terms of beauty, storage, and other functionality.
Everything has wear and tear but when it comes to wood, it can always be repaired. Mostly, the wood material of furniture gets small repairs or the shiner wears away. These can be done easily with ourselves but only if we have the right gear.
Sanders is always needed to repair or construct wood parts. They smooth the rough surfaces by scrubbing or scratching the surface with the sandpaper attached to the sanders.
So, it’ll be a good decision to buy a sander if you want to fix the furniture and ceiling works by yourself. In this article, we’ll list some of the best sanders available in the market so that you can compare them considering your budget and usage.
Before counting down on your list for the top 10 sanders, let us understand some concepts beforehand.
Cordless Sanders vs Corded Sanders
Cordless sanders are the ones that come with an electric motor powered by AC power connected to a socket by a cord while cordless power tools including cordless sanders are the battery-powered ones. These battery-powered sanders don’t mean that the battery is inbuilt rather for many of the sanders, the battery and charger have to be purchased separately.
Random Orbit Sander VS Orbital Sanders
Orbit means the movement of the sandpaper in a circle. In orbital sanders, the movement is a specified orbit, that doesn’t change. However, random orbit sanders have a mechanism in which the movement of the sanding pad is in random orbit. This removes the swirl marks that are created by the continuous movement of the sanding pad in the same direction.
Orbit per minute (OPM)
This means how many times the sanding pad orbits in a minute. Let’s say for example the OPM is 12000. This means the sanding pad rotates 12000 times in one minute.
Best Sanders – Top 10 List
SKIL PWRCore 20 BrSKIL PWRCore 20 Brushless 20V 5-Inch Random Orbital Sander, Includes 2.0Ah Lithium Battery and PWRJump Charger – SR660302
Another ultimate power 20V Sander is the SKIL PWRCore 20 Brushless 20V 5-Inch Random Orbital Sander. This sander comes with a 20V battery and a charger. It has a digital brushless motor that can deliver up to 12000 Orbits per minute. It is a random orbit sander that ensures the elimination of swirl marks while sanding.
It has a jump power charger that charges the battery in 5 minutes that will deliver up to 30 minutes run time. It offers some unique features too. Let’s discuss some of its features:
It has an LED light fuel indication to show battery percentage. It has a Patent cooling system for the battery to give more output, and it also comes with 5 years limited warranty.
- Fast power charger included
- Dust sealed on-off switch
- Variable speed control that goes up to 12000 OPM
- Digital brushless motor
- Cordless, 20V high power battery included
- Microfiltration dust canister
- There is no vibration control system, but still, the brushless motor reduced vibrations a lot.
Bosch ROS20VSC Palm Sander – 2.5 Amp 5 Inches Corded Variable Speed Random Orbital Sander
If you are a frequent DIY user or you frequently work outdoor, this Bosch sander might be the perfect choice for you. Having a 2.5 Amp motor makes it powerful enough to serve you with whatever work you need to do. Having a cord length of 5.5 meters is another plus point in assisting you in working outdoors or even indoors where you can’t find a switch nearby. The motor runs at the sander at a speed of 5,500 to 12000 orbits per minute (OPM). This will help you sand the material with an amazing finish. Another thing to keep in mind is that it is a random orbit sander which means the orbits are not in one path. This is effective in eliminating any swirl marks that appear after sanding. It has a pad dampening braking system that also helps to remove the swirl marks.
Also Read: Best Belt Sanders
It comes with a vibration control system that helps in protecting muscles from stress and fatigue. It also has a lock-on button that eliminates the need of pressing the button while using it.
- Comfortable grip
- Vibration control suspension
- Reduced swirl marks due to pad dampening system.
- The paper filter and screw-off cap for small dust particles
- No Major Cons
DEWALT 20V MAX Orbital Sander, Tool Only (DCW210B)
DeWalt brand is a well-known brand in the market and is launching regularly some new products in the market. This tool is very easy to use and is considered best for professionals. It is the best sander. This sander is suitable to perform heavy-duty tasks and is available at reasonable rates in the market. It can be the best gift for your loved ones. It can easily tackle both easy and tough jobs. Its motor shows excellent performance. Its Variable-speed control of the hand sander from 8,000 to 12,000 OPM to match the speed to the application.
It weighs 3.3 ounces and requires 20 Volts to operate. The battery is sold separately.
When you open the box, you will find one DCW210B Orbital Sander.
- One-handed locking dust bag and dust port for dust collectors
- Texturized rubber grip
- Low profile height for better sanding
- Variable speed from 8000-12000 orbits per minute
- The battery is sold separately, you have to buy it for an additional price
Makita XOB01Z 18V LXT® Lithium-Ion Cordless 5″ Random Orbit Sander, Tool Only
If you’re someone who’s looking for a great performing heavy-duty sander and you can pay a higher price for that, the Makita XOB01Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless 5″ Random Orbit Sander/polisher might be a good choice for you. Delivering a great battery time because of the 18V lithium-ion battery, this cordless device is a mobility-compatible tool for you. Although the price is higher than many of the competitors in the market, the brand name of Makita is sufficient enough to guarantee its quality. The most promising feature that Makita markets a lot about this product is the dual-action control including the “Random orbit with forced rotation” and “Random orbit with free rotation.”
- The cordless tool that ensures ease during mobility
- Dual power modes; High power and low power
- Dual-action control includes Random orbit with forced rotation and random orbit with free rotation
- The Price is too high as compared to the competitors
- Battery and charger are sold separately, with additional charges
- The Orbits per minute (OMP) of its motor are less as compared to the tools of other brands.
BLACK+DECKER 20V MAX* Random Orbital Sander, Cordless (BDCRO20C)
You need to sand your wood but you’re tight on budget. What to do? Well the Black and Decker Random orbit sander is right there at an affordable price. The tools come at an affordable price on Amazon.com, isn’t that good?
This low-budget tool might make you think that the quality of performance will be compromised, which fortunately is not. It comes with a 20V battery-powered motor that allows you to run it at a maximum of 12000 Orbits per minute, which is impressive.
- Small-sized, lightweight
- A motor that can run maximum at speed of 12000 OPM
- Cordless sander with 20 Volts max battery, to be purchased separately
- Dust collection features
- There is no variable speed control
- No features for vibration control, etc.
- Battery and charger are sold separately
Ridgid R8606B GEN5X 18-Volt 5 in. Cordless Random Orbit Sander (Tool-Only)
Another budget-friendly power tool for sanding is offered by the brand Ridgid. It is an 18V battery-powered cordless sander. The battery is sold separately. It is a random orbit sander having the capacity to deliver 7000 to 11000 Orbits per minute (OPM). It has an air guard technology for dust collection from the working area. Its flat face allows sanding flush to a vertical surface.
- It has a brushless motor that enhances the motor life
- It has a variable speed control from 7000 OPM to 11000 OPM
- It has a tool-free belt release for quick and easy belt changes
- Some features such as the switch dust control, anti-vibration control, and other features are missing
- Battery and charger are sold separately
PORTER-CABLE 20V MAX* Random Orbital Sander, Cordless, 5-in. Tool Only (PCCW205B)
Another budget-friendly, high-performance sander is the Porter-Cable 20V sander with an American origin. It is a lightweight yet good performing tool in the league. This tool is a cordless tool that can install a battery of 20V for better output without the cord. The sander also comes with a dust bag that can be detached to use with the 1 1/4th inch vacuum hose for a better collection of dust. Overall, this is a completely good package at a minimal price.
- A rubber grip for better ease and comfort
- A variable speed control system from a range of 9000 OPM to 12000 OPM.
- A detachable dust bag for dust collection
- A vacuum hose
- The battery is sold separately, not included in this price
- The minimum OPM is 9000 which is faster; a slower OPM is required for some tasks.
Ryobi P411 One+ 18 Volt 5 Inch Cordless Battery Operated Random Orbit Power Sander
Another best sander in the market is the RYOBI 18V 5 inches sander. It comes with a cordless, battery-powered mechanism that helps you do your work anywhere without worrying to carry the cord and arrange an electricity socket with you. It has a dust bag that is attached to it for dust collection.
It has a grip on the upper side of the tool which ensures a firm grip and proper sanding when force is to be applied. The lock-on switch provides the user ease to work without holding the button while sanding. The motor can run at a maximum speed of 12000 orbits per minute (OPM) which is great. Overall it is a great package at a small price.
- A cordless tool with an 18V battery sold separately
- Lock-on switch
- Over mold improved grip for comfort
- Random motion for swirl-free sanding
- The battery and charger are sold separately
- The Speed is not variable. The only option is the 12000 OPM
Milwaukee Electric Tools 2648-20 M18 Random Orbit Sander
The Milwaukee M18 series of power tools have been one of the most reliable, and high-performing tools. The Milwaukee also offers cordless Sander out of which the M18 Orbit Sander is worth considering. The M18 shows the 18V battery. It has more than 150 tools in the M18 series.
This particular sander by Milwaukee is a Random orbit sander with 18V battery power. The battery and charger are sold separately. It offers a red-lithium battery which the company claims, can deliver up to 35 minutes run time. This tool comes with variable speed control that gives the user to operate the tool according to the need of the work environment and specifications.
- Cordless solution with M18 Series 18Vbattery, to be purchased separately
- Expensive, considering these features
- The Grip is not comfortable
- Battery and charger sold separately
Ryobi RS290G 2.6 Amp 12,500 OPM Single Speed 5 Inch Hook and Loop Corded Random Orbit Sander w/ 3 Pads and Dust Bag
If you’re a little tight on budget but you still need a sander, this particular sander might be for you. This is a 2.6 Amp corded sander delivering great performance at a maximum of 12500 orbits per minute (OPM). At a value for money price, this can solve many of your problems with great functionality and ease. It has a variable speed that allows you to run at the speed that is required. It also has some additional features such as the dust collection system that sucks the dust into the micro-filter box to offer you a clean work environment. The rubberized grip provides you comfort and accessibility to work. Below listed are some of the features of this tool:
- The 12500 OPM delivers great sanding performance
- 2.6 Amp powerful motor
- It is corded; not ideal for workplaces where mobility is required or electricity sockets are not available
After reviewing each product, I concluded that DEWALT 20V MAX Orbital Sander, Tool Only (DCW210B) is the Best Orbit Sander. It is available at a reasonable price, and its powerful motor shows robust performance.